Note that main updated document link is at:
  This document:


 not sent to


D. Weeks

Mrs Danica Weeks

17 Kirkham Hill Tce, Maylands WA 6051  (??)

(08) 9272 9729

Mrs Weeks

Assuming this is your address (ex phone directory), let me first convey my sympathy for your loss. I realize how frustrating it must be for you not knowing what happened to your husband. My background has been many years as a military pilot and journalist covering aviation accidents. I was associated for many years with one of the family of a victim of the 1997 Swissair 111 accident. She formed an international association to "fight the good fight" in discovering the real cause of that accident and putting paid to any airline or regulatory cover-up. Her husband's body was never recovered and identified (only a ring on a hand). The cause of SR-111 was wiring, or more particularly a certain type of wiring (an aromatic polyimide wiring insulation colloquially known as Kapton) that was used in most airliners of that vintage. It was also utilized for reasons of weight-saving in many (if not most) military aircraft - including the P3 Orion which I operated for many years. That wiring insulation, once it aged, was very prone to microscopic cracking and that permitted arcing/flash-over (think of it as an explosive short that could take out whole wiring bundles and propagate explosively along that bundle's length). The Association's efforts with publicising these flaws and active consultation with the FAA, brought about a WhiteHouse directed investigation into airliner wiring and a total change of attitude by the FAA towards developing an intolerant attitude to slipshod wiring practices. She made it very difficult for the industry to sweep the wiring scandal under the rug and continue slipshod attitudes towards cheaply incorporating "off-the-shelf" Inflight Entertainment systems. The industry mainly preferred to keep her at arm's length but couldn't very well deny the problem existed, as the Mojave desert boneyards were full of laid-off AirForce, Naval, Army and USMC aircraft that were too expensive to re-wire and too risky to operate. The RAF were more forthcoming, publishing a detailed report of their Kapton wiring woes. The end result of this lady's association was a much greater industry awareness of the criticality of wiring insulation - and some dedicated regulatory steps to ensure that the incidence of smoke in the cockpit and wiring fires became an almost insignificant cause of airliner crashes. Much of this success was due to Canada's TSB having investigated SR-111 so thoroughly and not permitting any doubt as to the cause of SR-111. Some videos of arcing flash-over are available at

The reason I've underlined wiring is that it was also the cause of the destruction of an Egyptair 777-200 ( SU-GBP ) on the ramp at Cairo airport over three years ago. The FAA finally released its final rule AD (Airworthiness Directive for US registered aircraft only) after MH370 disappeared (in fact, in mid April 2014). That AD mandated "inspection and repair as necessary" preventive maintenance (per the Boeing Service Bulletin) on the pilots' oxygen system. This is a sort of cheap as chips approach to accident prevention that's akin to the old saw: "if it ain't broke don't fix it". This Cairo accident was caused by an internally wound helical wire (a collapsible oxygen hose stiffener meant to avoid hose-kinking and oxygen flow interruption). This wire was needlessly conductive and shorted out within the oxygen flow via chafing, causing an instantaneous oxygen flare fire. This type of fire can be differentiated from a fuel fed fire (such as SR-111's) by the fact that it is a sheet of flame lasting only as long as the oxy feed is intact (gauged as a 5 to 15 second event)-and it soon dissipates once the oxygen-rich cockpit environment is more or less instantly oxidized, leaving a  residue of scorched plastic and an oxy blowtorch focussed on the cockpit sidewall. In the Cairo accident that oxy blowtorch led to a cockpit sidewall burn-through and a hull rupture. At cruise altitude, the same burn-through plus a rapid depressurization would occur but the fire would be quickly extinguished, leading to a much reduced level of damage compared to the flight-deck imagery you will see of the aftermath of the Cairo ramp fire. There was a similar fire on the ramp that burn out the cockpit of Orion A9-300 at RAAF Edinburgh South Australia in the early 1980's. That fire once again proved that lubricants and 100% oxygen don't mix. The SU-GBP Final Report is downloadable from the tinyurl link below. You will note that, in typical fashion, the accident investigators never take a conclusive stance but are legally inhibited to presenting the "possibilities" as being just that. The truth of their actual belief for the actual cause emerges only much later, when the regulator takes the necessary definitive action to address the identified deficiency. It's not known if the MH370 aircraft had any "fixes" implemented.

It goes without saying that any pilots in the flight station (i.e. not visiting the cabin) would inflight suffer a lung-searing and second degree flash burns and thus be wholly or mostly disabled.- i.e. at least to some considerable degree. Explanations of possible aftermath developments (turnbacks, turns etc) are in the tinyurl links below. That treatment includes the effect upon modern cockpit plastic push-buttons and keypads, their surround housings, upon thermally actuated cockpit-located circuit-breakers and consequential near simultaneous systems outages (including comms). Within the document is also a discussion of the plausibility of (and scenario for)  MH370's onwards ghost-ship flight into the Indian Ocean - with all onboard having succumbed due to hypoxia and intense cold. In other words, without being morbid, once the pilots were disabled the cabin oxygen would've soon be used up and pax/rear-end crew would simply slip into unconsciousness before a painless death. That the 777 would've been capable of continued stable flight with many disabled systems is factual and testimonial to its built-in redundancy and "different"  (i.e. "active") primary flight control system. That oxy flare-fire would've blown out once the oxygen-rich environment had dissipated and the hull ruptured (i.e.allowing a high speed oxygen-thin inrush airflow). The flight deck and its surfaces would have been heavily "sooted" ( together with melted plastic pushbuttons and tripped circuit-breakers)-  but in much better shape than the Cairo ramp aircraft (as that fire had burnt for hours). There was no reason for any destabilized spiral into the South China Sea..... as would've been the case with most other airplane designs.

It's noteworthy that the detailed press article treatment at  does NOT address the possibility of an airborne version of the SU-GBP fire and its totally different considerations for airborne fire duration and survivability - but addresses all others (whacky as they may be). The reasons for this are (as usual) the total aversion within the industry for any scenarios that may enhance the family member's chances for a fair litigation settlement. The airlines are united in this control of the media (more on this aspect, and how they actively go about it, in the linked documents).

In summary, I suggest that you read (and re-read) the documents downloadable from the links and try to comprehend the scenario that most probably brought about the MH370 disappearance. I've found it very difficult to get journalists and lawyers to comprehend (or even take onboard) this scenario. Most are hanging their hats upon the fact that MAS was foolishly carrying L-ion battery freight consignments aboard a passenger-carrying aircraft. However this accident bears none of the tell-tale hallmarks of a Lithium Ion battery fire (discussion further below on that).

Finally, I have no interest whatsoever in any award or reward, should my assessment prove helpful in directing your inquiries and/or achieving any litigation "wins". The lady I mentioned earlier redirected her efforts - once her aims on wiring concerns had been taken as far as she could - by dedicating her insurance pay-out and Boeing settlements to a very active charity ( If any post MH-370 settlements or indiegogo monies finally need a home, her charitable efforts would be an appropriate outlet for communal good globally. She gives large sums very regularly to charities world-wide (see her website).

I've expunged my name and contact details from the downloadable documents so feel free to pass the link on to interested parties. I personally wish to avoid any further part in the inquiry - or being dogged by reporters etc. Interestingly enough, Angus and I used to be flight instructors in the same 2FTS Flight many, many years ago. If there's anyone with the dogged determination to finally "get there" in respect of locating MH370's final resting place, it'd be "the Goose" - always well known for his "bit between the teeth" approach to problem-solving ( and the diplomacy to go with it).

However I don't wish to frustrate you further by being totally incommunicado and leaving you pondering any of the more esoteric aspects of what you will read, so I am contactable on 0414 766158. Please keep that number to yourself. The only journo who's privy to all the info (as conveyed to you by me) is Ross Coulthart of channel 7. I've known him for many years and been one of his sources for a number of aviation TV stories he's done and won awards for. He's presently mulling a treatment on his program of MH370's fate - along the lines described above.

Best of luck with your quest. Answers are out there but it's never in the airline industry's interests to achieve a bottom line that can backfire. That's the nature of the beast. However in favour of a final resolution of the MH370 mystery is PM Abbott's apparent commitment to fulfil Australia's regional duty to follow through under the ICAO allocation of geographic responsibility for SAR. Let's hope we can do an equivalent job nationally to the cardinal job that Canada's TSB did with resolving SR-111.


John S



1.           main theory and precedent

2.        prior document

3.         (SU-GBP final report)

4.      This document:    (Iridian/Roadshow - first link on Google page - primarily). This was my early 1998 invention/concept for real-time airliner inflight position and status reporting that has (to date) been picked up (over the years) by 7 manufacturers including Iridium (but at present  being utilized mainly by VIP aircraft fleets only). Inmarsat are now getting on that bandwagon as will many other purveyors of similar inflight data systems - however until mandated by EASA and the FAA, it will not be seen across the board on long-haul airliners.

But then again, having said that, I'm sure that it will be an eventual but belated consequence of MH370..... mainly predicated upon the alternative of a very exhausting, frustrating and expensive search cost with many red herrings - not to mention the reputation of a worldwide fleet of costly airplanes. However, above all it will forever avoid, at minimal cost, the sort of quandary now posed by the unexplained fate of MH370.



More than two months since MH370 disappeared, no wreckage has been found to even confirm a crash, let alone apportion blame.

But relatives of the 239 people on board can still come after Malaysia Airlines because under international aviation law it is an airline's responsibility to prove it was not to blame for an accident.

"On the surface, (Malaysia Airlines) is responsible," said Jeremy Joseph, a Malaysian attorney specialising in transport law.

The "burden of proof" rests on the national carrier to clear its name, he added.

Under International Civil Aviation Organisation rules, next-of-kin in an air crash are entitled to an automatic minimum of about $175,000 per passenger, regardless of fault, payable by an airline's insurance company.




----- Original Message -----

 "Aimee Turner" <>
 Sun, 08 Jun 2014 23:38:05 +0800
 RE: Interpretations of the Ramiifications of an Airborne Oxygen Flare Fire (in MH370)....../TWO
1 Aimee,

My response is below. You can download the 13mb SU-GBP Report from:

 Feel free to disseminate further to interested parties (this and my earlier document).

John S

2 from:

"The GCAA’s final report states that even now its investigators have been unable to determine the initiating action that resulted in the cargo fire."

I consider this vibration-acoustic inflammatory risk "stab in the dark" to be an obvious red herring that, like pilot suicide and terrorist hijacking theories, can only assist Boeing and the FAA in muddying the waters for impending MH370 litigation..... and minimizing attribution of blame to Boeing (and by implication, the FAA (and EASA?), for its over 3 year tardiness in deliberating an effective final rule AD on the 777 oxygen system). It has no scientific footing, it's a theoretical "punt". ... and lacks any real credibility.

Thus you have to wonder just who [and why] these improbable L-ion MH370 theories are being disseminated by. There is admittedly no denying that large consignments of Lithium batteries are to be avoided due to the risk of an unfightable fire due shorting of a single cell (per the 787 fire conclusions). That MAS has seen fit to carry such shipments on pax-carrying flights is to be condemned - however the fact remains that a Lithium ion battery fire takes some time to develop - and even the UPS 747-400 crew out of Dubai had time to continuously communicate their distress and recovery plans over the 29 minutes from fire detection until impact (see yellow highlights below). Whatever occurred to MH370, in a similar scenario to the UPS event, the MH370 crew could still have come up on 121.5mhz (which is usually kept tuned in on VHF-2) and advised at least a PAN call (if not a Mayday emergency) to the numerous aircraft within range monitoring that universally monitored frequency. The fact that they did not is clearly indicative of a more instantaneous (and pilot-disabling) occurrence The only two emergencies conceivable are an explosive decompression or a lung-searing oxygen flare-fire of 5 to 15 seconds duration that would have immediately affected the pilots, (even if not lethal to either/both). As per the Cairo fire, an explosive/rapid decompression would likely have been a later consequence of the oxy blow-torch effect on the cockpit sidewall and hull (as per the on-ramp damage to SU-GBP).

The fact that the moderators (Internet Brandings) operating for its new proxy owners (Boeing et al) have seen fit to allow all sorts of dopey theories but totally delete (and disallow by mass poster bannings) any reference to a possible MH370 oxy-flare fire? it's almost a "dumb and dumber" tacit admission of liability.

3 Extract from:

L-ion battery fire (crash of UPS B747-400F in Dubai - 2010)

The flight transited from UAE airspace into Bahrain Airspace where, at 19:12, the fire bell alarm sounded on the flight deck. The airplane was approaching top of climb (FL320) at the time.
Following the fire bell annunciation, the Captain assumed control of the aircraft as PF, and the First Officer reverted to PNF while managing the fire warnings and cockpit checklists. The Captain advised Bahrain Air Traffic Control (BAH-C) that there was a fire indication on the main deck of the aircraft. The crew informed BAH-C that they needed to land as soon as possible. BAH-C advised the crew that Doha International Airport (DOH) was at the aircraft’s 10 o’clock position at 100 NM DME. DOH was the nearest airport at the time the emergency was declared, Dubai (DXB) was approximately 148 NM DME. The Captain elected to return to DXB, and following the request to land as soon as possible to BAH-C, the crew declared an emergency. BAH-C acknowledged the request, cleared the aircraft for a series of right hand heading changes back to DXB onto a heading of 106.
At approximately 19:14, the Auto Pilot (AP) disconnected, followed at 19:15 by a second audible alarm similar to the fire bell. At about this time the flight crew put on the oxygen masks and goggles. The crew experienced difficulties communicating via the intercom with the masks on, which interfered with the Cockpit Resource Management (CRM).
Following the initiation of the turn back to DXB, having been cleared to 27,000 ft, the crew requested an expedited, immediate descent to 10,000 feet. Following ATC clearance, the flight crew initiated a rapid descent to 10,000 ft. BAH-C advised the crew that the aircraft was on a direct heading to DXB and cleared for landing on DXB runway 12 left at their discretion.
The Fire Main Deck checklist was activated. According to the system logic, the cabin began to depressurise, PACKS 2 and 3 shut down automatically, and PACK 2 and 3 positions were then manually selected to OFF on the overhead panel in accordance with the checklist instructions.
At 19:15, PACK 1 shut down, with no corresponding discussion recorded on the CVR. A short interval after the AP was disengaged, the Captain informed the F/O that there was limited pitch control of the aircraft in the manual flying mode, the Captain then requested the F/O to determine the cause of the pitch control anomaly.
During the turn back to DXB, the AP was re-engaged, and the aircraft descent was stabilised at 19:17. The Captain told the F/O to pull the smoke evacuation handle. This was not part of the Fire Main Deck Non-Normal checklist.
The Captain informed BAH-C that the cockpit was 'full of smoke' and commented to the F/O about the inability to see the instruments. The Captain instructed the F/O to input DXB into the Flight Management System (FMS). The F/O acknowledged the request and commented about the increasing flight deck temperature. It was not clear from the CVR if the FMS was programmed for DXB, although the DFDR indicated that the ILS/VOR frequency was changed to 110.1 MHz which was the frequency for DXB RW12L. Based on the information available to date, it is likely that less than 5 minutes after the fire indication on the main deck, smoke had entered the flight deck and intermittently degraded the visibility to the extent that the flight instruments could not effectively be monitored by the crew.
At approximately 
19:19, during the emergency descent, at approximately 20,000 ft cabin altitude, the CAPT, as PF, declared a lack of oxygen supply. Following a brief exchange between the Captain and F/O regarding the need for oxygen, the Captain transferred control of the aircraft to the F/O as PF. Portable oxygen is located on the flight deck and in the supernumerary area, aft of the flight crew's positions when seated. At this point the recorded CVR is consistent with the Captain leaving his seat, after which there is no further CVR information that indicates any further interaction from the Captain for the remainder of the flight.
The normal procedural requirement of transiting into the Emirates FIR, inbound for DXB was a radio frequency change from BAH-C to UAE-C. At 
19:20, BAH-C advised the crew to contact UAE-C. At approximately the same time, the PF transmitted ‘mayday, mayday, mayday can you hear me?'.
The PF advised BAH-C that due to the smoke in the flight deck, the ability to view the cockpit instruments, the Flight Management System (FMS), Audio Control Panel (ACP) and radio frequency selection displays had been compromised. At 19:21, the PF advised BAH-C that they would stay on the BAH-C frequency as it was not possible to see the radios. The PF elected to remain on the BAH-C radio frequency for the duration of the flight. At approximately 19:22 the aircraft entered the Emirates FIR heading east, tracking direct to the DXB RW12L intermediate approach fix. The aircraft was now out of effective VHF radio range with BAH-C. In order for the crew to communicate with BAH-C, Bahrain advised transiting aircraft that they would act as a communication relay between BAH-C and the emergency aircraft.
At 19:22, the F/O informed the relay aircraft that he was ‘looking for some oxygen’.
Following the rapid descent to 10,000 ft the aircraft leveled off at the assigned altitude approximately 84NM from DXB. At approximately 19:26, the PF requested immediate vectors to the nearest airport and advised he would need radar guidance due to difficulty viewing the instruments.
At around 
19:33, approximately 26 NM from DXB, the aircraft descended to 9000 ft, followed by a further gradual descent as the aircraft approached DXB, inbound for RW12L. The speed of the aircraft was approximately 340 kts.
19:38, approximately 10NM from RW12L, BAH-C, through the relay aircraft, advised the crew the aircraft was too high and too fast and requested the PF to perform a 360 turn if able. The PF responded ‘Negative’. At this time the DFDR data indicated the gear lever was selected down, the speed brake lever moved toward extend and at approximately the same time there was a sound consistent with the flap handle movement; shortly afterward the PF indicated that the landing gear was not functioning.
The aircraft over flew the DXB northern airport boundary on a heading of 117, the aircraft speed and altitude, was 340 kts at an altitude of 4500 ft and descending. Following the over flight of DXB, on passing the south eastern end of RW12L, the aircraft was cleared direct to Sharjah Airport (SHJ) as an immediate alternate – SHJ was to the aircraft’s left and the SHJ runway was a parallel vector.
The relay pilot asked the PF if it was possible to perform a left hand turn. The PF responded requesting the heading to SHJ.
The PF was advised that SHJ was at 095 from the current position at 10 NM and that this left hand turn would position the aircraft on final approach for SHJ (RW30). The PF acknowledged the heading change for SHJ. The PF selected 195 degrees on the Mode Control Panel (MCP).
The AP disconnected at 
19:40, the aircraft then entered a descending right hand turn at an altitude of 4000 ft as the speed gradually reduced to 240 kts until the impact.
Several Ground Proximity Warning System (GPWS) caution messages were audible on the CVR indicating: Sink Rate, Too Low Terrain and Bank Angle warnings. Radar contact was lost at approximately 
19:41. The aircraft crashed 9nm south of DXB onto a military installation near Minhad Air Force Base.

1. A large fire developed in palletized cargo on the main deck at or near pallet positions 4 or 5, in Fire Zone 3, consisting of consignments of mixed cargo including a significant number of lithium type batteries and other combustible materials. The fire escalated rapidly into a catastrophic uncontained fire.
2. The large, uncontained cargo fire, that originated in the main cargo deck caused the cargo compartment liners to fail under combined thermal and mechanical loads.
3. Heat from the fire resulted in the system/component failure or malfunction of the truss assemblies and control cables, directly affecting the control cable tension and elevator function required for the safe operation of the aircraft when in manual control.
4. The uncontained cargo fire directly affected the independent critical systems necessary for crew survivability. Heat from the fire exposed the supplementary oxygen system to extreme thermal loading, sufficient to generate a failure. This resulted in the oxygen supply disruption leading to the abrupt failure of the Captain’s oxygen supply and the incapacitation of the captain.
5. The progressive failure of the cargo compartment liner increased the area available for the smoke and fire penetration into the fuselage crown area.
6. The rate and volume of the continuous toxic smoke, contiguous with the cockpit and supernumerary habitable area, resulted in inadequate visibility in the cockpit, obscuring the view of the primary flight displays, audio control panels and the view outside the cockpit which prevented all normal cockpit functioning.
7. The shutdown of PACK 1 for unknown reasons resulted in loss of conditioned airflow to the upper deck causing the Electronic Equipment Cooling [EEC] system to reconfigure to "closed loop mode". The absence of a positive pressure differential contributed to the hazardous quantities of smoke and fumes entering the cockpit and upper deck, simultaneously obscuring the crew’s view and creating a toxic environment.
8. The fire detection methodology of detecting smoke sampling as an indicator of a fire is inadequate as pallet smoke masking can delay the time it takes for a smoke detection system to detect a fire originating within a cargo container or a pallet with a rain cover.



----- Original Message -----
"Aimee Turner" <>

"John S" <>

Sun, 8 Jun 2014 10:00:16 +0100
RE: Interpretations of the Ramifications of an Airborne Oxygen Flare Fire (in MH370)......

I was aware of the incident but have not read the report. So why not send it to me, John?

Also, there is this aspect of a possible lithium based fire – same phase of flight:

From: John S [] 
Sent: 08 June 2014 02:18
Subject: Interpretations of the Ramiifications of an Airborne Oxygen Flare Fire (in MH370)......

Not a lithium Ion battery fire like the Helderberg   (that SAA 747 Combi took hours to go down off Mauritius from a Lithium Ion fire and communicated their plight throughout). The MH370 fire was a totally different kind of conflagration. There is a 777-200 precedent for it.

With particular attention to modern plastic pushbutton switch types, their surround housings and distortion/melting/actuation in (and by) a limited duration oxygen flare fire (also discussed are the effects of an oxygen flare fire on the flight-deck’s thermal-trippable circuit-breakers).

Conclusions are based upon the ramp fire that destroyed an Egyptair 777-200 at Cairo airport over three years ago and the limited/belated FAA/Boeing response to that oxygen- initiated event. Access to the 15mb Final Report on SU-GBP fire investigation is available if required (on request).

Please see

(htm file - open in a browser)



John S

One-time Editor-in-Chief of Air Safety Week (PBI Media)

3 tour P3 Orion Captain / P2 Neptune /RAAF/RSAF/RAF/ATPL/BAe etc


This message may contain privileged and confidential information. If you
think, for any reason, that this message may have been addressed to you in
error, you must not disseminate, copy or take any action, or inaction, in
reliance on it, and we would ask you to notify us immediately by return
Email, telephone or facsimile.

Contact Key Publishing Ltd. +44 (0) 1780 755 131, Fax +44 (0)1780 757261

The contents of this transmission are not intended to be binding or constitute any 
form of offer or acceptance or give rise to any legal obligations on behalf of the sender. 
Any views or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not 
represent the views or opinions of any employer or other organisation with whom the
 author is associated.  All contributions are bound by our Terms &amp; Conditions.  To obtain
 a copy go to or contact our Front Office
on the number above.

Registered Office:
Units 1-4 Gwash Way Industrial Estate Ryhall Road Stamford Lincolnshire PE9 1XP
Registered No. 02713662 England